Tuesday, November 30, 2010

West Quoddy Winter

Last week, I featured a Season’s Greetings from West Quoddy, USA.  These note cards are based on reproductions of a painting I did a few years ago of West Quoddy Light, with a blanket of snow in the foreground.  So this week, I am featuring a large print of this painting.


Located near Lubec, Maine, West Quoddy Head is the easternmost point of the United States.  I have visited the lighthouse a number of times, and it is indeed a very peaceful place.  From West Quoddy Head, you can look across at the Canadian islands of Campobello (depicted in the background in the painting) and farther out in the Bay of Fundy, Grand Manan.

The first lighthouse was built here in 1808, with the present brick tower being built in 1858.  As I mentioned in an earlier blog, northern lighthouses used red marking to help mariners see them more clearly against a backdrop of winter snow.

I chose a slate blue-grey frame for this print; the cold frame colour adds to the chill in the winter scene.  But if your decor won’t handle the blue-grey, a mahogany frame works well too.

No comments:

Post a Comment