Friday, March 29, 2013

Oil painting of open sea

Well, today I did my first oil painting in about 30 years.  I have been thinking about trying oils again after being reminded of it by seeing an image of my oil painting "Dory Memories", painted about 30 years ago.  I have been mostly working in acrylics, quicker drying, perhaps a little more forgiving.

But oil paint has a richness to its colour and texture you can't get with acrylic.  So I went to Luke's store "Endeavours" in Fredericton (great store for art supplies, by the way) and picked up some water-soluble oil paints, which are also almost odourless (another problem with regular oil paints).

Since I hadn't done this for so long, I decided my first oil should be a small canvas to try it out, just 11" x 14".  So what to paint? Well, for me it had to be ocean, and what better to paint that open ocean: 


Since it is oil paint, I expect it will take days to dry, so I photgraphed it on the easel:


I hope to make some prints of this too, if it seems that people like it.  As far as the buoy goes, I have no idea whose mark it is, or even if it is a local mark, but the colours worked for me in the picture:


Perhaps the richness of colour and testure will convince me to spend more time working in oils once again:


I enjoyed this return to oils; perhaps I will do some more soon




3 comments:

  1. May have been 30 years,but you still have the touch. great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. The texture and variations in the blues are gorgeous. Well done sir, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete